CTLGroup evaluated the original "textile" concrete blocks and floor slabs in order to assist the restoration architect in selecting repair and replacement materials for the restoration of the Millard House (1924) and Studio (1926). The house was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright; the studio by Lloyd Wright.
Concrete textile block samples from the exterior and interior of the house were evaluated. The objective of the laboratory study was to fully describe the concrete characteristics (aggregate, cement, pigments), in order to formulate a mix for replacement blocks. The colored floor slab from the studio was studied to evaluate the placement process, concrete composition and nature of the finishing of the colored floor surface. Chemical analysis to identify surface treatments supplemented the petrographic examination.