Putting Metal to the Test
For decades clients have come to CTLGroup for complicated and critical metals engineering and testing challenges. With a legacy of landmark innovations in the industry we pride ourselves in approaching each project individually and working with the client to develop a unique approach. Whether the project requires standard testing or creation of customized testing procedures, CTLGroup produces practical, relevant solutions, no matter what the metal or the issue is.
From the gigantic to the miniscule – from test loads up to 10,000,000 lbs. to metallurgical analysis using a Scanning Electron Microscope (SEM) – whether it is a railroad fastener or the steel the fastener is made from – we do it all. CTLGroup provides clients with more than just test results; we provide solutions to real-life problems.
Before testing begins, our engineers and scientists work with clients to identify their specific needs, develop material evaluation and testing programs to fulfill those needs and then translate the results into meaningful action. This includes identifying the relationship between material conditions, test results and what they mean to overall performance.
CTLGroup is home to one of the world's largest private structures laboratories. The laboratory has been using and defining state-of-the-art techniques for over 50 years, and is capable of testing full-scale or reduced-scale structural and mechanical systems; or parts and components of systems.
CTLGroup's specialized metallurgical analysis includes:
- Materials testing & characterization
- Microstructure, heat treatment and casting quality
- Failure analysis
- Corrosion and material degradation
- Weld evaluation
- Scanning Electron Microscopy (SEM)
- Mechanical testing
- Field evaluation including fire damage assessment
Our structural testing capabilities include:
- Large capacity load testing (up to 10,000,000 lbs.)
- Single and multiple load applications
- Static and dynamic (cyclic) loading
- Partial and full scale mock-up testing
- Close-loop servo hydraulic control